PART A. PHONETICS
I. Write the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the other three in each of the following questions.
1. A. fans B. seas C. works D. jobs
2. A. reduce B. fence C. prevent D. receive
3. A. mechanic B. machine C. character D. chemistry
II.Write the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose primary stress is different from the other three in each of the following questions.
4. A. climate B. comprise C. casual D. formal
5. A. temperature B. acquaintance C. priority D. pollution
PART B. LEXICO - GRAMMAR
I.Write the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best completes each of the following sentences.
1. Peter________ in three movies already. I am sure that he will be a star someday.
A. appeared B. had appeared C. has appeared D. appears
2. If he________ taller, he________ join the army.
A. is - would B. were - would C. were - will D. are - would
3. Jimmy: “Did you hear about the burglary last week?”
Janet: “Yes. The thieves________ now, haven’t they?”
A. have been caught B. caught C. are caught D. have caught
4. She asked________ to speak to.
A. who I want B. who wanted I C. I wanted who D. who I wanted
5. Auld Lang Syne is a song________ is sung on New Year's Eve.
A. which B. of which C. in which D. what
6. Our teacher makes us________ very hard.
A. to work B. work C. working D. worked
7. Anna: "Did you have________ nice holiday?"
Gareth: "Yes, it was________ best holiday I've ever had."
A. a - the B. the - a C. a - a D. the - the
8. ________ are fighting to save the environment.
A. Conserve B. Conservationist C. Conservationists D. Conservation
9. I had never expected to get the job. I was really________ when I was offered it.
A. amaze B. amazed C. amazing D. amazingly
10. Most people are interested in the________ of the photographs taken by disabled students.
A. present B. show C. popularity D. exhibition
11. In winter, heating________ for 50 percent of our electricity bill.
A. accounts B. costs C. occupies D. takes
12. They are different________ each other so much.
A. from B. to C. with D. of
13. You’re not the only one who didn’t hear the news. I didn’t, ________.
A. neither B. also C. too D. either
14. Although I am very busy, I try to find time to________ to my grandparents every weekend.
A. take a break B. pay a visit C. look after D. take care
15. It is easy for everyone to get access________ the Internet.
A. on B. to C. in D. for
16. Nobody understands what he says, ________?
A. do they B. don’t they C. does it D. doesn’t it
17. It started to rain. ________, we stopped playing tennis.
A. But B. However C. Therefore D. Because
18. There________ available in his area of specialization.
A. isn't a lot of jobs B. isn't a lot of job
C. aren't a lot of jobs D. aren't a lot of job
19. Mary: “Would you like a glass of green tea?” Jane: “______________.”
A. No, let’s not B. No, I don’t C. No, I wouldn’t D. No, thanks
20. Nowadays children would prefer history________ in more practical ways.
A. be taught B. to teach C. to be taught D. teach
II.Write the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correcting.
21. I think the best way to reduce garbage is to recycle and reused things.
A B C D
22. Simon finds it hardfor making friends with other children.
A B C D
23. If you meet him, remember not telling him what I have just said to you.
A B C D
24. In the 1960s, hardly anyone was concerned to the pollution of air, water, and land.
A B C D
25. Most babies will grow up to be as cleverer as their parents.
A B C D
III. Put the words in brackets into the correct forms.
26. Air-conditioning is an absolute_______________ (NECESSARY) in this climate.
27. His new car_______________ (CONSUMER) a lot of fuel.
28. He enjoys the constant_______________ (INTERACT) with students from other classes.
29. Our school team didn’t win the_______________ (CHAMPION) in the last football season.
30. The Internet has_______________ (INCREASE) developed and become part of our daily life.
PART C. READING
I.Read the following passage and write the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
The inventors of the first airplane were not scientists. In fact, they did not even finish high school. The inventors of the first airplane were just ordinary brothers with a big dream – a dream of flying.
Wilbur and Orville Wright grew up in Indiana in a large family. Neither of the brothers finished high school. Instead of sitting in class and reading, they wanted to work and make things, like machines. When the brothers were 18 and 22 years old, they started up their own printing press and bicycle shop.
One day, Wilbur read an interesting story in the newspaper about a man trying to fly in a glider. The man died, but the story gave Wilbur an idea. He decided to teach himself about flying in order to make the perfect glider. Together, Orville and Wilbur successfully tested their new glider on the beach. Then the brothers decided to make their glider into a flying machine. They put an engine and propeller on the glider and called their new machine the “Wright Flyer”. The plane broke down on its first test, but the Wright brothers didn’t give up.
With a little more hard work, the Wright Flyer made a successful flight. On December 17, 1903, the Wright brothers made history of flying the Wright Flyer over the beach at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The airplane was born.
1. What is the best title for this reading?
A. “The First Glider”. B. “American Inventions”.
C. “Two Brothers’ Dream”. D. “Gliders vs. Planes”.
2. How did the brothers learn about planes?
A. They learned about them in school. B. Their father taught them.
C. They worked in a glider shop. D. They learned by themselves.
3. Why did the Wright brothers succeed in building the first plane?
A. They never gave up. B. They were good students.
C. They quickly gave up. D. They spent a lot of money.
4. What made the Wright Flyer different from a glider?
A. It had a propeller. B. It had an engine.
C. It could fly. D. It had an engine and propeller.
5. What is the lesson of this story?
A. Flying is too difficult for ordinary people.
B. If you don’t succeed at first, keep trying.
C. The airplane is an important invention.
D. Dreams can make you rich.
II. Complete the passage by filling in each blank with ONE suitable word.
Tom Cruise is one of the most successful actors in cinema history. (6)__________, life hasn’t always been that easy for him. As a young boy, Tom was shy and had (7)__________ in finding friends, although he enjoyed taking part in school plays.
(8)__________ he had finished High School, Tom went to New York to look for work. He found employment as a porter, and at the same time he attended drama classes. In 1980, the film director Franco Zeffirelli (9)___________ Tom his first part in a film. Ten years later, he had become (10)_________ successful that he was one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood earning millions of dollars for each film. Today, Tom still appears in films and is as popular as ever with his thousands of fans from all over the world.
III.Read the following passage and write the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
Cartoon films have very few limits. If you can draw something, you can (11)________ it move on the cinema screen. The use (12)________ new ideas and advanced computer programs means that cartoons are becoming exciting again for people of (13)________ ages.
By the (14)________ of the 1970s, the cinema world had decided that cartoons were only for children. But soon (15)________ , one or two directors had some original new ideas. They proved that it was possible to make films in which both adults and children could (16)________ the fun.
However, not (17)________ cartoon film was successful. The Black Cauldron, for example, failed, mainly because it was too (18)________ for children and too childish for adults. Directors learnt from this (19)________, and the film companies began to make large (20)________ of money again.
11. A. get B. cause C. wish D. make
12. A. for B. of C. with D. by
13. A. more B. other C. all D. these
14. A. end B. finish C. departure D. back
15. A. before B. afterwards C. next D. then
16. A. divide B. add C. mix D. share
17. A. every B. both C. any D. each
18. A. nervous B. fearful C. afraid D. frightening
19. A. damage B. crime C. mistake D. fault
20. A. amounts B. accounts C. numbers D. totals
PART D. WRITING
I.Complete each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the one printed before it.
1.We need to protect our environment.
→ Our environment________________________________________________.
2. We are studying in a very large classroom now.
→ The classroom___________________________________________________.
3. In spite of taking a taxi, Thuy still arrived late for the meeting.
4. “Why don’t we buy a teddy bear as a birthday present?” he said.
→ He suggested_____________________________________________________.
5. If you don’t leave now, you will miss your train.
II. Paragraph writing:
Summer is coming.Where do you want to visit this summer holiday?
Write a paragraph of 100-120 words to explain why you want to spend
your summer vacation there.